UAE geography lesson

Discussion in 'United Arab Emirates' started by wanderer, Aug 22, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I'm kind of confused on how it works in the United Arab Emirates. Are they emirates different countries or are they more like states? I know that Dubai is the most famous, so I'm guessing that it's the most visited. What else should I know about the United Arab Emirates?

2. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

There are seven separate emirates that make up the country: Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah, and Umm al-Quwa. The capital is Abu Dhabi and much of the tourism is centered there. Dubai is also at the forefront of the tourism world in the UAE.

Within in each emirate, there is a monarch who holds power. And they monarchs chose who rule the country. It's a different political system than most out there.

3. caliingall

caliingall New Member

the UAE is a country

that's a great question..don't think most people even know much about the Emirates, let alone its location (lol). As the last poster said, the UAE consists of states but unlike the US they have a monarchy overthere. Don't think the majority of citizens there are happy because most are treated as second class citizens. I heard foreigners are treated there very well...better than their own peole (go figure!)

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I never thought about that...it's not uncommon for countries to treat tourists better than the locals. It doesn't make it right, but it does happen.