Upcoming trip to Maine

Discussion in 'Maine' started by JoniL, Aug 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. JoniL

JoniL New Member

I was wondering if any one could give me any tips or info on finding a place to stay when my husband and I drive to Maine in September. We are trying to find something around the Portland area. Would like to be right on the oceanfront. Would like something not too commercial but with dining available. We picture sitting on the beach at night, eating lobster, going to breakfast buffet in the mornings, walking on the beach. It seems like Portland has all downtown hotels. We want to experience the coastline. Any suggestions?

2. racezJona

racezJona New Member

trip to Maine in Sep

hey JoniL, what's your budget? if you're looking for oceanfront you could consider Residence Inn, the Hilton Garden Inn (Downtown Waterfront), or even the Portland Harbor Hotel.

btw, since you're going to be in the Portland area, you may as well celebrate Capriccio. Ogunquit celebrates this event in September with an annual kite race and two-week-long festival of the arts called Capriccio. Also, it's worth adding Fort Knox to your itinerary. Each year in September they do a cool Medieval Tournament with lots of music and foods.

3. myculture

myculture New Member

stay in Ogunquit

if you are looking for an oceanfront hotel I would suggest staying at the Anchorage Inn or the Norsemen Hotel in Ogunquit. The Anchorage Inn is right on the Mariginal Way and withing walking distance to Ogunquit Beach, while the Norsemen Hotel is right on the beach.

4. fulango99

fulango99 New Member

venture off in Maine

September should be not as touristy around Portland as in July/August, though because it's the fall foliage season you can still expect decent crowds. When traveling to Maine I normally stay in the Wiscasset area or out on the peninsula in places like Harpswell village, Monahegan Island and Rockland.