US Capitol tours

Discussion in 'Washington DC' started by GoranSven, Feb 5, 2015.

1. GoranSven

GoranSven New Member

If you plan to visit DC on February 11, you maybe unable to tour certain areas of the Capitol due to a special ceremony taking place there. Areas of the Capitol such as the Rotunda and National Statuary Hall won't be available for tours, though the Capitol Visitor Center will be open throughout the day.

2. HalloHallo33

HalloHallo33 New Member

US Capitol same-day reservations

Even then, I will need to book in advance if you want to visit areas of the Capitol beyond the Capitol Visitor Center. Tour schedules fill up quickly and same-day reservations and Same-day tour passes are not available.

3. MarioWario

MarioWario New Member

Last time I checked, the Capitol was under renovation with outside scaffolding all around. If you find yourself in Washington and you have never seen our Capitol building don't let that stop you though. During the "low" season waiting is about 20 minutes. Best to pre-booking through your congressman's office to avoid long lines and quicker security screening.

4. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

It definitely pays to book your Capitol tours ahead of time. You can book it through the office of your representative or senator (information is available on the Capitol's website) if want a staff member to lead the tour. Or you can book a tour online at www.visitthecapitol.gov. A limited number of same-day passes can be picked up at the Information Desk (in the lower level of the Visitor Center.) Tours begin and end at the Visitor Center. There's the chance to watch the intro film before touring the Crypt, Rotunda, and National Statuary Hall at the Capitol.

5. MarioWario

MarioWario New Member

If you go there you should know that before entering the Capitol Visitor Center, you will be screened by a magnetometer and all your belongings will be screened by an x-ray device. Just the heads up in case you don't fancy experiencing airport like security.

6. FionaRichards

FionaRichards New Member

Thanks Goran I will make sure to check out the visitor center. Im actual in DC now.