Utah state parks near Lake Powell

Discussion in 'Utah' started by dopiowe, Apr 8, 2013.

1. dopiowe

dopiowe New Member

if you plant to visit Utah this summer, you should not miss taking a trip to Lake Powell for a bit of swiming and boating. After that, you can visit one of the few state parks nearby Lake Powell for some hiking and outdoor activities like off-roading, viewing petroglyphs and dinosaur bones and biking. Coral Peak Sand Dunes State Park, Escalante Petrified Forest State Park, Dead Horse Point State Park and Kodachrome Basin State Park.

2. itlokgreat

itlokgreat New Member

I have been to Lake Powell several times in spring and summer and it's a great place for boat vacations and camping. One of the best campsites down there is behind a rock called the Cookie Jar, which is close to open water for skiing and fishing. You can buy provisions like gas, food, ice, etc from Dangling Rope and Halls & Bullfrog.

3. PR-GH

PR-GH New Member

Lake Powell is teeming with spring break teens on houseboats right this moment...if you don't like madness, it's probably best you go in early or late summer. Bring as many supplies as you can as there are a few restaurants around the lake, and the closest town is Page (6 miles away).

4. Wanderled

Wanderled New Member

Don't forget the national parks as well: Zions, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, and Arches! Goblin Valley and Dead Horse Point are my favorite state parks, but I would also recommend Glen Canyon and Grand Staircase-Escalante. If you're in the area, might as well also go to Monument Valley and Four Corners.