Vanilla Air launches in Japan

Discussion in 'Flights' started by mitraveler, Jan 18, 2014.

1. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

A new air service is bringing low cost flights to Japan. Well, sort of new. AirAsia Japan is now Vanilla Air, and it's starting small with a flight of two aircraft. The flights are both domestic and international with routes between Tokyo and Sapporo, Tokyo and Okinawa, as well to Taipei and Seoul. Long-range plans call for more planes and flights to Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and Indonesia.

2. estupendod

estupendod New Member

I wonder who was the brains behind the name change for Vanilla Air which was before known as AirAsia Japan. Not sure if i like the new name.

3. JordiCruz

JordiCruz New Member

The name change is not the only thing different about Vanilla air. The old bosses of AirAsia Japan used to focuse on young travellers but the new team at Vanilla Air will focus mainly on families, couples and retirees.

4. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

I had to find out why ANA went with such an unusual name choice for the airline. According to an article from CAPA Centre for Aviation, "All Nippon Airways chose the name "Vanilla Air" for its LCC in part for Vanilla Air's popularity, simplicity and inoffensive connotation. Those characteristics will be the initial theme for Vanilla Air's route network........" It will be interesting to hear how this plays out for the creative Japanese airline.

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I'm always surprised that vanilla means plain. Actual vanilla is quite rare, from very picky orchards that only bloom a few nights a year. I think they're native to Madagascar and other exotic places. The orchids need to be pollinated by hand and you needs tons of flours to make just a tiny amount of extract. That's why beans cost so much. Most of the stuff in the food supply is just a chemical.

6. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

You're right. Whenever someone says "it's so vanilla" they mean plain, middle of the road, or without zip but the spice is so luscious and rare. The beans are also grown in Mexico and Tahiti.