visiting Algeria from Morocco

Discussion in 'Algeria' started by johnfox, Jun 13, 2011.

1. johnfox

johnfox New Member

Hi all!

we're two South Africans who really want to visit Algeria in September, after spending 10 days in Morocco. Apparently it's not possible to cross the border overland to Algeria? if not? has anyone got any ideas of how we can do this?

Also, will we be able to get a visa in Tunis? And if so what are the requirements exactly (I hear conflicting things)?

2. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

As far as I know, there is no way for non tunisians to get a visa in Tunis, so I'd suggest getting the visa back in South Africa beforehand. Oh, by the way, it takes about 4 weeks for the visa to be processed, and you'll have proof of accommodation in Algeria.

I believe, that you can (but have never tried) book a hotel, get them to fax the reservation, Apply for your visa, then cancel your booking, if you dont know your exact plans. I don't know if this is recommended. But believe its been done.

As far as getting to Algeria from Tunisia, Louage/buses travel from Tunis to Algiers, but again, non Tunisians cannot board them.

The only other option I can think of is to get a ferry from Tunisia to Spain, then another one to Algeria. The route will be from Melillia /Almeria then Almeria/Ghazaouet.