visiting Macedonia for first time

Discussion in 'Macedonia' started by Cclay, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Cclay

Cclay New Member

Hi

I have been wanting to visit Macedonia for a long time now and i am deciding to make next year. Now, is summer the best time? I really want to visit Skopje and see Lake Ohrid, which im told is beautiful. The only thing about summer is that it will crowded, right? Also, what's the best way to get to Lake Ohrid from Skopje?

Any comments welcome?

Many thanks

2. PedroM

PedroM New Member

Macedonia for first time

yes, summer is the peak season but well worth traveling, especially if you really want to enjoy boat trips of Lake Ohrid. Skopje and Ohrid are pretty much the most visited places in Macedonia so there's good transportation options, though no train option.

You can catch a taxi, rent a car or catch a bus going from Ohrid to Skopje, but remember it takes around 2.5 to 5 hours to get there. Car rental is my recommended method to get to Lake Ohrid from Skopje as you will be more flexible with the route you can take (driving through Mavrovo National Park and Debar is very scenic).

3. sidane

sidane New Member

going to Macedonia

Summer is the only time I'd suggest visiting Macedonia...the country is just so beautiful and nice when is warm (though bring some warmer wear for the evenings). There's also the Ohrid Summer Festival happening, which is one of the largest and most important music and drama festivals in Macedonia. Oh, aside from Lake Ohris, you should visit Lake Matka (situated on the northern side of Skopje) form a picnic and peddle boating on the lake.

4. rockafellows

rockafellows New Member

Macedonia off the beaten path

I agree! dont limit your visit only to Ohrid and Skopje. Macedonia is a beautiful country with a lot of culture, attractions and natural scenery. Aside from seeing the stunning Ohrid Lake, you've got to visit the National park Mavrovo, Bitola (second largest city in Macedonia), Shutka (biggest Roma community in Europe) and Matka Canyon, which boasts gorgeous monasteries.