visiting the Griffith Observatory

Discussion in 'California' started by Dooperphoic, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Dooperphoic

Dooperphoic New Member

hello,

Has anyone being to the Griffith Observatory before and does it cost anything to get in? and also, what can you do in there?

any ideas??

2. VacationBuddy

VacationBuddy Administrator

hi there,

It doesn't cost anything to access the Griffith Observatory, and you can use the Zeiss and solar telescopes for free to get lovely views of the city, as well as the famous Hollywood sign.

There is also a Planetarium, which shows hourly films giving you an insight into the universe. Apart from this, you can enjoy the numerous space and science exhibits.

hope this helps
    Vacationbuddy

3. FrankP

FrankP New Member

Does anyone know what kind of Telescope(s) they have and how big it is. I am a very amateur astronomer with an 8" Orion. It is a big step up from my first "toy" telescope. Now I have what is called apature fever and amazed by the big telescopes.

4. VacationBuddy

VacationBuddy Administrator

Hi Frankie P,

The Griffith Observatory have a Zeiss Telescope with a 12 inch reflector viewing of the night sky, and three solar telescopes. One of them offers a white light view of the sun; another shows a view through an H-alpha filter and the third shows a solar spectrum.

hope this helps
    Vacationbuddy

5. Lex87

Lex87 New Member

As per the website:
    Admission to the Observatory building and grounds is FREE. There is a nominal charge to see shows in the Samuel Oschin Planetarium.

If you are any sort of astrology nut, you'll be in heaven, and if not you'll have good time. ;)