Volcano de Fuego Eruption disrupting flights

Discussion in 'Flights' started by wanderer, Sep 14, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

This volcano in Guatemala has finally erupted after simmering for a long time. It's located about 30 miles from Guatemala City and the surrounding villages have been evacuated. The two-mile-high flumes of ash are disrupting air travel, as are the winds that are scattering the ashes. Thought you should know if you're planning to fly into the country. So far, the surrounding islands like Antigua are okay. Check with the airlines to Guatemala to find out details.

2. 3isagoal

3isagoal New Member

oh boy, it looks like hell is finally breaking loose on the planet...this eruption is actually quite serious because Antigua is just 6 miles away. Not to mention though the villages that were built near the volcano. Luckily, noone has been injured or killed since the villagers were evacuated just as the eruption was taking place. My cousin that leaves there sent me this pic of the volcano erupting..quite amazing!

Attached Files:

3. femiKuti

femiKuti New Member

wow, must be terrifying experiencing the power of a volcano! I hear that the volcano eruption has become a big draw for tourists staying in nearby Antigua. what's even more amazing is the bravery of many people who refused to be evacuated to instead help move people away.

4. JohanDirrell

JohanDirrell New Member

New volcano eruption in Guatemala

if anyone is planning to travel to Guatemala, they need to know that a new volcano this time in Antigua (Santiaguito Volcano) is now spewing lava and ashes. Because of this, there are flight restrictions in Guatemala, especially near the capital.

5. Driospo90

Driospo90 New Member

As far as I know there are not flights being canceled from UK or Europe to Guatemala. Aside from the recent activity on Fuego Volcano, the earthquake that struck off the Pacific Coast of Guatemala a few weeks ago is still causing trouble. Im told that travel disruption are still affecting those areas along the Pacific Coast of Guatemala.