Volunteer travel in Africa

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by wanderer, Apr 6, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Any advice on how to go about this? A friend of mine is heading to Rwanda next month with the Peace Corps. I'm not exactly up for that, but what about a short term volun-tourism trip?

2. Flow&Hustle

Flow&Hustle New Member

volunteering abroad?

it depends..you don;t necessarily have to go overseas to do a good deed. im surprised to hear so many people always wanting to go abroad when they could easily volunteer and make a difference in their own communities.

3. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

That seems like good advice to me, Flow & Hustle. If you do want to go overseas, I'd recommend going with an established group, like a tour operator skilled in volunteer tours. You don't want to show up on your own and try to help. You might end up making trouble if you do that.

4. amaz1ng

amaz1ng New Member

volunteer at home

dont know much about them but my impression of the Peace Corps is that it seems like a "missionary" imperialistic organization like many others out there...i've lost count the amount of organizations dedicated to Africa who are there to simply make money. Like the last poster said, i would stick with volunteering back home since there are many folks who could with some help too...charity starts at home;)