Wait times increase at U.S. airports

Discussion in 'Flights' started by wanderer, Oct 16, 2011.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

For those going through customs, it's taking longer than ever before.

We all knew this, but according to a study, the wait time has increased 23.5 percent from 2009 to 2011. It's only four minutes, though, from 17 minutes to 21, but that leaves out some of the busier airports like JFK and Miami. Who wants to wait in line 20 minutes after a long flight? Not me!

2. windy88hu

windy88hu New Member

U.S. airports security

It doesn't surprise me the slightest with the current state of of world affairs. It seems like ever-increasing airport security measures are here to stay, which means taking off our shoes, body scanners, pat dows, etc will be necessary evils. Flying isn't what it used to be, and I missed that very much:(

3. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I am surprised that we aren't flying naked with no luggage...it seems like security gets more invasive all the the time!

4. gestapo

gestapo New Member

security increase at U.S. airports

haha, true that mitraveler! the body scan, and x-ray have to be the latest American intrusion on our airports. I fly many times a year, and I’ve been patted, x-rayed, examined, felt up, rubbed, touched, tweaked, squeezed, probed, observed, scrutinized, questioned and ID’d every time.

5. morenog

morenog New Member

x-ray machines at U.S. airports

I don’t care what I look like in the x-ray machine, but what worries me is the radiation. Think about it..if ou were to fly hundred of times a year how much radiation do you think you would exposed to?

6. juancarlosII

juancarlosII New Member

security fee hike at U.S. airports

what's worst besides waiting longer at the airports is that they're going to hike the security fee which means anyone traveling from US airports will be charged $5 for all one-way trips and $10 return. This means the majority of passengers who do not connect or change flights during their journey will be most affected by this.

7. aiming56

aiming56 New Member

waiting at U.S. airports

it's ridiculous the waiting times...my wife and I flew SEA-PIT on Sep 20th and it was the longest I've ever waited for security at Seatac (45 minutes). Checkin and ID check was okay but going through the north security line was at a tortoise's pace. They re-ran each of our bags because of my DSLR and her video camera which normally go right through in our rollaboards without question.

8. helena23

helena23 New Member

harassment at U.S. airports

the treatment at US airports is definitively getting bad for people, and even worse for non-US citizens from the middle east. I would call it harassment more than anything the way we are treated in airports, and being charming and polite with the border personnel doesn't even help for a smooth transaction. I'd recommend everyone who wants to fly domestically in the US to drive instead...the hassle and harassment isn't worth !

9. seniorlevel

seniorlevel New Member

TSA at U.S. airports

I don't think that this increased security at airports is doing anything but make people very angry. I find more and more that security personnel at U.S. airports are singling out specific groups and being very picky on how they go about searching people...TSA people have been given way too much power to molest us all!

10. gekk@hq

gekk@hq New Member

beating waiting times at airports

When I flew US in May from LA to Philly it took me appx 75 minutes to get through the airport checks. We were lined up outside the terminal almost down to the next terminal... thank good it was sunny. By the way, I think waiting times at airports is worse on Saturday so I recommend anyone to book your plane to fly out during the week (preferable early in morning or late night)

11. jonasbrothers

jonasbrothers New Member

be smart at the airport

I am also not happy with all the waiting we passengers have to endure at the airports, but the best thing you can do is be smart. Complaining won't get us far so it's best to do everything you can to smooth the experience at the airport by having all your documents in order, the right size luggage, etc so you won't have to pay and spend extra time at the queue.

12. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

That's really good advice. Being nice and planning ahead can make a bad thing even easier. If I worked at the TSA, I would be stressed out and wouldn't react well if a mean person came in my line. While it is hard to go through security, it does help to be nice!

13. freddi01

freddi01 New Member

U.S. airports

the increased time at airports has nothing to do with airlines so, don’t blame your airline if the queues are long because it’s not their fault...security screening is run by the airport operator!

14. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Good point Freddi! I'm sure it frustrates the airline carriers too. They're getting late and cranky passengers on their flights. In the U.S., the TSA is a government entity. I wonder if that is the same in other countries.

15. fulango99

fulango99 New Member

is airport security effective?

I read somewhere that the explosive device smuggled in the clothing of the Detroit bomb suspect would not have been detected by body-scanners and pat-downs. In fact, many experts in the US say airport pat-downs are ineffective anyway in combating terrorism, which begs the question: is airport security effective? I think not!

16. butterflii

butterflii New Member

going through U.S. airports

let's face it people, the days of easy and stress-free travel through airports are long gone. It pains me to say it but I have come to accept this and move on. Either boycott airlines and not fly again, or just put up with it. If you are uncomfortable with x-rays and body scanners, you can ask to be patted instead.

17. viperpowered

viperpowered New Member

avoid long queues at U.S. airports

I don't see waiting in lines, taking off our shoes, and other security measures as necessary to be honest, and I am American. Saying this, it's best you arrive early, especially during peak travel times like Xmas. It's not a bad idea to allow more time than the official guidelines, particularly if you're checking luggage or traveling with kids.