water rafting tips for first timer

Discussion in 'Wyoming' started by lappyHolmes, Jan 13, 2011.

1. lappyHolmes

lappyHolmes New Member

I am a newby to water rafting..can some care to tell me how fit I should be to go rafting? and, is it a problem If I can't swim?

2. Ruby

Ruby Guest

I presume you're planning to go with an rating outfitter right? Otherwise, a water rafting trip on your own would be not a good idea!

If you're on commercial rafting trip, you'll be given a life vest, so even if you can't swim, you can still go on a rafting trip.

Be sure that your guide gives you the initial safety talk before your trip explaining what you should prepare for and do in the event you fall out of the raft. I know of friends on a grand canyon rafting trip who weren't told this and when they fell off the boat they almost drowned in panic!

Regarding shape, be on the best shape that you can possible can. Honestly, water rafting is so demanding to the whole body since you'll be paddling constantly.

3. BlackEyes

BlackEyes New Member

If you are a health buff, then it is likely that you are already well fit for rafting. However, it would still be a good idea for you to get the proper training in order to be well prepared.