What kinds of animals live in Costa Rica?

Discussion in 'Costa Rica' started by wanderer, Nov 11, 2011.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I know that Costa Rica is a wildlife watcher's paradise. I picture it as home to lots of frogs and monkeys, but I'd love to hear more about the critters who make their home in this lovely country.

2. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

You're right about the frogs and the monkeys, but that is just one small part of the picture. This lush country, home to rain forests, green valleys, and beaches, supports of wide range of wildlife. Diversity is amazing, and conservation is important. There are some great details here with this D360 article and a truly great frog picture!

3. callofduty5

callofduty5 New Member

animals of Costa Rica

Costa Rica has the most biodiversity anywhere in the planet. There are so many animals such as Howler Monkey, White-faced Capuchin, Coati, Three-Toed Sloth, Jaguar, Hummingbird, Toucan, Blue Morpho Butterfly, Leafcutter Ant, Fer-de-lance.

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I love this list of animals. I would love to see them up close. I'm not sure what a coati is, so I'll have to look that up. Oh they're really cute...they look kind of like a raccoon.

5. d360

d360 Administrator

Costa Rica Animal

Here's an odd one I photographed in Manual Antonio Park called Paca Agouti. It looks to be from the rat family but much bigger

Attached Files:

6. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

He is odd, but in a charming way. Thanks for sharing!

7. situatgfe4

situatgfe4 New Member

pacas vs rats

As d360 mentioned Pacas look like rats and they're generally brown in color with four lines of white dots on each side of their body. These critters are huge with a length of about 80 cm, and approx. weight of 11 kg. so they're not to be messed with.

Another difference between the Pacas and common rats is that they also live solitarily lives with the exception of a mother rearing her young.

8. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Wow, that's about 25 pounds! That's a lot bigger than most house pets. I would stay away, even though they're pretty amazing!