what to do in Napa Valley

Discussion in 'California' started by ozawa, May 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ozawa

ozawa New Member

hello folks, what do you suggest doing in Napa Valley and how can i get most out of while there?
    cheers

2. VacationBuddy

VacationBuddy Administrator

Hi there,

One of the most popular things to do in Napa Valley is to tour the wineries. You can learn about the winemaking process if you take one of the Napa Valley wine tours during the fall harvest season.

Napa also offers great lovely views such as the scenic drive on Highway 29. Driving a car and doing your own Napa wine tours allows you to spend as much time as you like in the tasting rooms of Napa wineries. You can purchase bottles of the wines you enjoy to take some of Napa home with you.

Hope this helps
    Vacationbuddy

3. AnderMan

AnderMan New Member

In addition to the wine tasting, I would also recommend doing some hiking while in Napa Valley. They have trails for all types of hikers, and some of the trails that go through the wine country are absolutely gorgeous. Get up early, take a long hike, and reward yourself with a little wine tasting at the end of the day. =)

4. davidrickon

davidrickon New Member

Hello,

First of all you have to like wine,second of all you have to take Napa limo tour. We just had a blast with my friends last month.This guy provide us with best tour we have ever been to.He also showed us the most beautiful places and took our pictures with a wonderful view.He also gave us the best price among other limo companies.

5. dannydesiliva

dannydesiliva New Member

I am planning to go to the Napa Valley at the end of August (as I have been to SFO so many times so wanted to do something different).

Have a few questions:

1) Where to stay? I am thinking of Yountvillve as there seems to be al lfo of nice restaurants. Which hotel would you recommend

2) French Laundry Reservation. I asked my AMEX Centurion concierge to try and book but as usual they are pretty useless. Just wondering is there a wait list or any easier method to get a reservation

3) Other Restaurants/cafes recommendations

4) Activities to do. I am thinking maybe some Vineyard visits. Which one will be a recommendation. Also what else would you recommend to do.

5) How to get there from SFO?

6. VacationBuddy

VacationBuddy Administrator

hi there,

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) Where to stay? I am thinking of Yountvillve as there seems to be al lfo of nice restaurants. Which hotel would you recommend

A popular Yountville lodging option is the Villagio Inn and has private patios and balconies.

2) French Laundry Reservation. I asked my AMEX Centurion concierge to try and book but as usual they are pretty useless. Just wondering is there a wait list or any easier method to get a reservation

Reservations are very difficult to obtain; you'll have to call two months to the calendar date before the desired reservation to stand a chance.

However, you could try this tip:

If you call before 10:00 PST , you’ll get a recorded message telling you the reservation lines are closed. If you call back after ten, you’ll get a busy signal. Almost always. But keep trying..

3) Other Restaurants/cafes recommendations

Bouchon serves French bistro fare: steak frites, crispy pork belly, oysters, ratatouille, croque madame, and profiteroles.

Another great Yountville restaurants is the charming and romantic Bistro Jeanty, awarded one Michelin star, which serves seasonal menus of fine French bistro fare.

4) Activities to do. I am thinking maybe some Vineyard visits. Which one will be a recommendation. Also what else would you recommend to do.

One of the most popular wineries is the Robert Mondavi Winery. This winery has won dozens of awards for its excellent California wine.

The tasting tour here is free, and there are lunch tours and tastings with a range from $5 to $30, so you can try a little bit or enjoy some excellent food with your wine.

I would also recommend a Napa Valley hot air balloon ride for great views of the Californian landscape.

5) How to get there from SFO?

There is an airport shuttle for $28 one-way but if you want to take public transit you can catch BART to embarcadeno SF ferry building, take Baylink ferry to Vallejo and then transfer to VINE bus route #10 for a stop over at Napa, yountville, St Helena, Calistoga wineries for some wine tasting.

Hope this helps
    Vacationbuddy

7. sandas3211

sandas3211 New Member

Napa also offers great lovely views such as the scenic drive on Highway 29. Driving a car and doing your own Napa wine tours allows you to spend as much time as you like in the tasting rooms of Napa wineries. You can purchase bottles of the wines you enjoy to take some of Napa home with you.