Where are the Rocky Mountains located

Discussion in 'Wyoming' started by wanderer, Nov 11, 2011.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

So, the Rockies stretch from British Columbia to southern Colorado, but where do you find them in Wyoming? What are some of the best places to find the Rockies in this great, wide-open state?

2. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Actually, Grand Teton National Park is one of the greatest places to experience the Rockies in Wyoming. This vast, beautiful outdoor wonderland is nestled in the Cathedral Range. You'll find find plenty of places for outdoor fun and some some truly beautiful photos. The Rocky Mountains in Wyoming are found in the northwestern corner of the state.

3. krainey

krainey New Member

The Grand Tetons are very beautiful, as are the Absarokas in northern Wyoming, but personally I'm partial to the Wind River range in western Wyoming. It's a huge wildnerness area with stunning scenery & great hiking, and it's very undisturbed once you get into the back country.

You can go in via Lander or Pinedale, both of which have hotels, though Lander is considerably bigger and has more. If you're traveling with kids or looking for something more easily accessible, do check ou the Grand Tetons. The Star Valley area is a beautiful place to enter the state, the camping is great, and Snake River Canyon isn't too far away if you want to go rafting in the summer.

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Wyoming is such a scenic place! I drove up from Denver one time and loved the spiffy mountains around Cheyenne. I know there are even more scenic places than that. :)