Which city in Brazil is best for Carnival

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Hungrytravelers1, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Hungrytravelers1

Hungrytravelers1 New Member

I'm going to Brazil during Carnival in Feb 2010. I have only enough time to stay in one city.

Some people told me to go to Rio b/c its the biggest party, but it feels commercial.

Friends tell me I'll have a better time in Salvador. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. VacationBuddy

VacationBuddy Administrator

hi there,

The advice I can gather it's that foreigners should probably stay away from the Carnaval in Salvador, and go to the safer and better organized Carnaval in Rio de Janeiro.

Hope this helps
    Vacationbuddy

3. KayCee

KayCee New Member

I suggest Rio De Janiero. It's the top destination in Brazil. The place is a mix with beachlife, music and nightlife. The famous carnival is flocked by many tourist and even locals.

4. Amandinha

Amandinha New Member

salvador is cool but really a mess, crowded and expansive and lots of thiefs. Rio de Janeiro is the largest and much more safe on its question. Much more cultural than Salvador and there are the "blocos de rua" the highlight in my opinion! It´s free and amazing!

5. d360

d360 Administrator

I loved Salvador. Smaller and more cool people.

6. d360

d360 Administrator

I enjoyed Salvador. Smaller and the people are really cool.

7. ixke

ixke New Member

Salvadooooooor
    of course

I am living here for many years now and can assure you it is steaming full of pleasure !
    you can always ask me specific questions if there are any

8. Dastrips

Dastrips New Member

2012 carnival season

The 2012 carnival season is coming up, so you can expect plenty of masks, parades, and samba to be happening all across Brazil. Some of the best street parties I've ever been where in Le Meridien Copacabana, Mar Ipanema Hotel, and Leme Othon Palace.

9. MaryLane

MaryLane New Member

Brazil tourism is increasing rapidly because of it's one of the top carnivals.. I would suggest in RIO.. RIO carnival is rocking Brazil in all its outrageous, over-the-top glory. Like the RIO Sambodromo.. It was great...

10. dizzcover

dizzcover New Member

best for Carnival spot in Brazil

i know it comes as a surprise but Rio isn't really the hotspot for carnival... tourist go there but if you really want to soak in the spirit of carnival head to Salvador. This is where locals actually go and you can still dance the night away for free unlike Rio.

11. FlunkOP

FlunkOP New Member

Salvador for Carnival

I agree with the last poster 100%...We also went last year to Salvador on the recommendation of friends who went to carnival the previous year. The action and vibe is all up in Salvador and not Rio. Salvador has normally two huge parade routes in the city and each run for six days and six nights (a local told me) with amazing trio electricos - enormous mobile stages that get pulled through the crowds by huge trucks. Honestly, go to Salvador you won;t regret it!