Winter driving tips from someone who learned the hard way

Discussion in 'Vacations' started by mitraveler, Jan 18, 2014.

1. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Who else is driving the snow? Are you used it? I've been driving in Michigan for 15 years ago and had to learn the hard way how to do it. So if you're on vacation to somewhere snowy or you're hit with a snow storm, here are some tips for you:

1). Take your time.
    2). Don't tailgate.
    3). It takes more time to stop on ice, so start early and carefully.
    4). Don't oversteer. If you're sliding, turn the wheel into the slide and you'll probably straighten up. You'll probably get back on track soon anyway. Fishtales are pretty rare.
    5). Clean off as much snow as you can before you start driving.
    6). If the pavement or road is shiny, it's probably icy. Watch out and be careful, even if you think it's dry, there's probably some ice somewhere.
    7). If the cops/tow truck drivers/AAA tell you to stay off the road DO IT!

Do you have some to add?

2. gammy

gammy New Member

Snow driving is the hardest and I personally dont like it much. I try avoiding it if I can. If I do drive, I drive ver, very slow in high gears.

3. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Slow and steady does win the race when you have to go out. This winter has been long and miserable. There's another thing to keep in mind. Many of today's cars have all wheel or front wheel drive and they're engineered to travel on snow. You still have to be careful when you're out there!