Winterthur: Another Dupont mansion

Discussion in 'Delaware' started by wanderer, Oct 28, 2011.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Few families have done more to shape the history of Delaware. Winterthur has some really amazing gardens, which are even great in the winter. Inside, you'll find a truly elegant home. The 175-room mansion is now home to a museum with an amazing collection of furniture, art, and other treasures. Winterthur is also home to the Campbell Collection of Soup Tureens, an elegant reminder of another time.

2. windzdb

windzdb New Member

Thank you for posting this. I've been receiving the Winterthur catalogue for years and have always wanted to visit there. Now I definitely will, and will explore the surrounding area as well.

Windz

3. illusinosyr

illusinosyr New Member

Winterthur mansion

Very true wanderer! Winterthur is a gorgeous place with an extraordinary museum, garden, and library where the entire family can have a lovely time. You can purchase tickets in person at the Visitor Services desk in the Visitor Center. Prices are as follows:

Adult $18
    Child (2–11) $5
    Infant (under 2) Free
    Senior (62) $16
    Student (with valid ID) $16

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I can imagine how cool the catalog is...I've always loved those museum catalogs with all those elegant things. Thanks for posting the prices, too. It wasn't as expensive as I thought. As much as movies cost these days, this isn't much more, and you get a lot more out of it.

5. howwefail

howwefail New Member

Winterthur Delaware

I visited this place with a few friends to see if it was as good as it claimed to be, and Winterthur didn't disappoint. The collection of dec arts/Americana is one of the finest I had ever seen, and the 17th-19th century furniture, textiles, silver, ceramics, paintings, were absolutely superb.