The Homestead Inn was originally built by John Prime Treadwell in 1853, as his private residence which housed three generations of Treadwells until 1915. It was then owned by George T. Sperry until 1928, when it was established as the Homestead Inn by Mrs. Mary K. Philpot and became the leading hotel in the area. In 1938, a second building was added which housed a restaurant for many years. In 1955 the restaurant was closed and the converted to motel rooms. From 1977-1985 it was owned by Mr. and Mrs. MacPherson. Rolf and Peggy hammer owned the property until 2003. Bill Greenman is the current Innkeeper.