Construction on this beautiful brick Italian Victorian home began in 1866-67 by Ambrose G. Howard, who resided across the street, on the corner of Noyes, for Charles and Jane Quait Millar. Mr. Howard was also a nurseryman, and after the house was completed, he planted many unusual plants, shrubs and trees on the property. In 1870, the Millars went to Switzerland, taking their three daughters with them to enhance the girls education. It was during this time that the house was finally completed. Mr. Millar signed the necessary papers to purchase the house at the Office of the American Minister in Italy. Mr. Millar was a very wealthy Industrialist. He owned Lead Pipe Works on Main Street, Utica Pipe Foundry Company, Gas and Water Pipe Foundry on the corner of Gilbert Street and Hutchinson Avenue, Soil Pipe Foundry on Dwyer Avenue, and he also owned a cotton mill, which was later purchased by J.P. Stevens. Mr. Millar was also involved with Savage Arms. We have been told by Millar family members that one of Mr. Millars daughters was married to one of General Shermans sons, and that Vice President Sherman, Thomas Edison and President Taft have been guests here. The Millars took possession on February 27th, 1872. Prior to their moving to this house, they resided at 73 Blandina Street. An early description of this house The house is of brick, masonry construction, with a wooden wing or ell to the right and rear of the house. The general plan of the house is as follows the Front door and hall in the center of the building, with a large drawing room on the right which runs almost the length of the brick section of the house. Behind that was a music room and two more rooms, then two large greenhouses, attached to the house. These two conservatories housed many interesting and exotic plants and were one of Mr. Millar's absorbing interests.