The man-made reservoir of Lake Powell, which is located on the Colorado River, straddles the borders of both Utah and Arizona. For this reason, Lake Powell vacations and Lake Powell fishing trips are popular with tourists who plan on visiting both of these states. Lake Powell was created by the flooding of Glen Canyon by the Glen Canyon Dam. This eventually served as the catalyst for the creation of the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, which is now a popular location for Lake Powell vacations. Lake Powell is named after John Wesley Powell, the one-armed Civil War veteran who explored the area by boat. Little did he know that the Lake Powell Resort would one day become a major tourist destination.
People who are planning Lake Powell vacations or Lake Powell fishing trips have a choice of five different marinas.
- The Bullfrog Marina is about 95 miles up lake from Glen Canyon Dam. Its services are operated by a company called Aramark, which provides a lodge, housekeeping units, food services, gift shop, grocery store, two campgrounds (one with RV hook-ups), laundry, showers, service station, boat rental, boat tours, and boat repair.
- The Halls Crossing Marina has a ramp with a concrete surface.
- The Dangling Rope Marina has pump out services.
- Antelope Point has surfaces that are sufficient for mounting your own vessel. If you do not have your own boat, a Lake Powell boat rental is available at various locations.
- Hite Marina is not a boat launching area. However, it is a dirt takeout area for river rafters.
If you are planning a Lake Powell fishing trip, the Utah Department of Natural Resources has a number of Lake Powell fishing rules.
- You are limited to 20 smallmouth bass. Of these 20, keep the most common size, which is nine to twelve inches.
- Keep only five largemouth bass.
- Keep no more than 10 black crappie. This will allow for further rejuvenation.
- There is no limit on stripers.
- Endangered fish, such as Colorado pike minnow (Squawfish), razorback sucker, humpback chub, bonytail chub, flannelmouth sucker should be released immediately!
- You will be required to purchase a Utah fishing license for Lake Powell fishing.
The Lake Powell resort offers a variety of options for Lake Powell vacations. You can plan a Lake Powell boat rental, or stay at the Defiance House Lodge at the Bullfrog Marina. There are a number of family units for lodging at the Lake Powell Resort. Some are even pet-friendly, so you need not send poor Fido to doggie boarding!