Devils Head Ski Resort

Devils Head Ski Resort is one of the best places to go in all of Wisconsin if you enjoy skiing or snowboarding. Found in the south-central part of the state near Baraboo, this ski resort sits on one of the state's highest hills and offers a vertical drop of 500 feet. While this is a relatively modest vertical drop when compared to the ski resorts in mountain states like Colorado, it is pretty good by Midwest standards. Also good by Midwest standards are the 300 total skiable acres. Only two other ski areas in the Midwest have more acres of terrain to offer.

South-central Wisconsin is where some of the best skiing and snowboarding in the state can be had, and this is due largely in part to the Devils Head Ski Area and the nearby Cascade Mountain Ski Area. At Devils Head, there are 29 trails to choose from, the longest of which is 3,500 feet in length. Approximately 30 percent of the trails are expert-level black diamond runs, with the remaining 70 percent being divided between beginner trails and intermediate runs. This means that there is something for everyone. This only becomes more apparent when you consider the terrain park.

Unlike Tyrol Basin, which is a ski area found closer to Madison, Devils Head is relatively new to the terrain park scene. The building of a terrain park was no doubt good news for locals who were interested in working on their tricks. Big jumps, a half pipe, and a collection of boxes and rails make the terrain park and excellent place to play on the side. On weekends and holidays, racing at the NASTAR area is just one more option for things to do at the Devils Head Ski Resort. NASTAR is the world's largest ski and snowboard racing program.

If your skills aren't good enough to take to the racing slopes, or any of the other slopes for that matter, you can always take some lessons at the Devils Head Ski Area. Competent instructors are on hand, and they offer both snowboarding and skiing lessons that are designed specifically for beginners. You don't need your own equipment if you want to take lessons or hit the slopes on your own, it is worth noting. In addition to snowboards and regular skis, Devils Head Ski Resort visitors can also rent cross-country skis and helmets. The cross-country loop at the resort is three and a half miles long and winds its way around the golf course.

If you want to go skiing or snowboarding at the Devils Head Ski Area, November through April is when the lifts are open. You can start hopping on the lifts at 10 a.m. Monday through Friday, and at 9 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. The lifts close at 9 p.m. Sunday through Wednesday, and at 10 p.m. Thursday through Saturday. As for Devils Head Resort lodging, there is a lodge hotel at the bottom of the slopes, as well as a condominium complex.

The lodge at the Devils Head Resort offers both rooms and suites. While these rooms and suites aren't luxurious, you could hardly ask for a better location. Should more luxurious Devils Head Resort lodging be the aim, then the Glacier Ridge Condominiums are the way to go. The condos at Glacier Ridge boast an upscale edge, thanks in part to things like full kitchens with granite counter tops and large plasma TVs.

To complement the Devils Head Resort lodging options, you can always consider the other accommodations in the area. Due to the proximity of the resort to Baraboo, the Wisconsin Dells, and the capital of Madison, there is no shortage of good hotels and motels in the area.

Image: yazi (flickr)
Mississippi River in Wisconsin

Mississippi River

The Mississippi River in Wisconsin runs along the bottom half of the state's ...

Wisconsin Forum

Cave of the Mounds tour

Hi There! Cave of the Mounds tour available in all seasons? How long it will take to tour the ca...

More Forum Posts »